Sunday, November 06, 2005

You Can't Win 'em All...

In no week has it been more apparent that this column is aptly titled. I went 18-9 this weekend. That's a two-game downturn from the previous weeks, but in a weekend of upsets, I don't feel too bad. So here's the breakdown, starting with the losses.

Never Give Up: UCLA 14 - Arizona 52. Haha. Bout time. Of course, I was still calling UCLA when they were 38 down with three minutes to go. Don't tell me you weren't too. I certainly didn't call this one, but I've been saying all year that Arizona is a good team that couldn't put four quarters together to save its life. It looks like they picked a good time to finally get over the hump.

I Shouldn't Doubt Myself: North Carolina 16 - Boston College 14. "This game could be good for a while, and an upset would not surprise me too much." Gotta go with the gut.

Really, I Shouldn't Doubt Myself: NC State 20 - Florida State 15. "That is why this game is so dangerous for Florida State. It would be easy to look ahead to the intra-family Clemson game or the finale against Florida...This one could be an upset."

Well, Maybe I Should: Northwestern 28 - Iowa 27. This was the first upset pick I had for Saturday, and it looked great until about :58 was left on the clock. Northwestern refused to die, or Iowa refused to shut the door--your pick.

Upended Upset Special, Part Duex: South Carolina 14 - Arkansas 10. This one looked good until the end of the third quarter. I can't say I called the game wrong, just the winner. Arkansas had 356 yards of total offense to South Carolina's 190, and freshman QB Casey Dick (136 yards) nearly out threw Spurrier's QB Blake Mitchell (155 yards). This one easily could have gone the other way. Good win for Spurrier and the Gamecocks.

What the Hell?: Kansas 40 - Nebraska 15. Only in the Big 12 do things like this happen. Kansas, with no offense to speak of, puts up 40 on Nebraska? I did not see that one coming.

Maybe I Am Bitter: Georgia Tech 30 - Wake 17. For the second week in a row I've taken the upset pick over Georgia Tech--and lost. At least last week was close. Maybe I'm not giving the Yellow Jackets a fair shake because of the season opener. I feel that they got their ranking (peaking at about #15) off the merits of a win over Auburn. Even after the fact, I didn't feel Georgia Tech deserved to be ranked. They played well, but Auburn fell victim to first-time starting QB Brandon Cox's five mistakes. The fact that Auburn was within one possession until late into the game illustrates that GaTech was not that good. Even with five turnovers, they had to hang on for the win. GaTech shot up because of a win over the #15 team, but at the time, Auburn had no business being ranked #15. So there's my beef. At least I'm honest.

Now on to the wins.

Hurricane Hits Blacksburg: Miami 27 - Virginia Tech 7. Why not? Hurricanes seem to be hitting just about everywhere else now-a-days. I obviously expected this game to be much closer, simply by nature of the defenses involved. This game, though, resembled the Virginia Tech-Boston College game in many regards. Miami never truly blew away Virginia Tech, but they slowly pulled away and never let VaTech in the game. I am not happy about VaTech losing simply because now people can't complain about the BCS as much, unless you're an Alabama fan who actually thinks they will win out (which, by definition, all Alabama fans do).

I Bet You Would Have Cried After This One Too: Florida 49 - Vandy 42 (OT). Now, don't get me wrong. Forty-nine points is a move in the right direction, Coach Meyer. But you have to play defense too. Remember...that thing that wins championships. Right...there ya go. Good boy.

Why Field the Offense?: Bama 17 - Mississippi State 0. And you seriously think you are national title contender? I think Bama can put up more points if only the defense and special teams play. Cut out the middle man.

Are You Joking?: LSU 24 - Appalachian State 0. Twenty-four points against Appalachian State? And ten of those came in the 4th quarter. Appalachian State is the seventh-ranked team in the country--in Division I-AA. I know LSU was looking ahead to the Bama game. Hell, Appalachian State was probably looking ahead to the LSU-Bama game. But LSU, widely known to possess more talent than if the Superfriends fielded a team, (at least according to the media), should have pushed the Mountianeers around all night, even without trying.

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I liked "I know LSU was looking ahead to the Bama game. Hell, Appalachian State was probably looking ahead to the LSU-Bama game."

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Brian said...

On the Bama game. Unfortunately, I think it adds to Bama's depth. They have shown their offense's potential in previous games and now they've shown their defensive strength too. The offense failed to show up this game but their defense pulled it out for them. The game doesn't look good on paper at all but it give a good perspective on Bama's strength.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home