Thursday, December 29, 2005

Holiday Bowl Prediction

I've decided that "Pacific Life Holiday Bowl" is too long. Out of simple laziness, it returns to its roots. I think there is little doubt that this is one of the more anticipated match-ups in the bowl season, with Oregon (10-1) facing Oklahoma (7-4). Oregon got the shaft and was left out in the cold by the BCS, but I'm certainly not going to argue the merits of that decision. Oregon beat no one significant on its way to ten wins. Fresno State is the best win to its credit. Meanwhile, Oklahoma clearly took a step backward this year, but breaking in a new QB is tough, just ask Auburn. They have made strides recently however, and despite the new QB, their losses are to TCU (10-1), UCLA (9-2), Texas (12-0), and Texas Tech (9-2). That's not too shabby.

Oregon likes to throw the ball around a good deal. This seems to be okay for the Sooners, as the pass efficiency defense is currently twenty-sixth in the country. However, I am not a big fan of Big 12 defenses. For all the hype they recieve, I don't think they are worth a grain of salt. Of course, they are better than the Pac-10, on the whole, so this may be a moot point. Basically, Oregon will score some points on Oklahoma, without a doubt. The questions are A) "How many?" and B) "Can Oklahoma keep up?". I'd answer, "In the twenties," and, "Only if Adrian Peterson has a monster day." This seems to be a favorite upset pick of the media, as everyone seems to believe Oregon will pull a Cal or Oklahoma will use this game as a stepping stone to its "Sooners are Back!" Sports Illustrated Cover next year. I think both teams are overrated, but what's new. I have a hard time believing that the Sooners can stop the Oregon passing attack, or that QB Rhett Bomar can actually create a formidable passing option for the offense. Hence, I will not pick the upset, but I do think it will be close. Oregon 28 - Oklahoma 27.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home