Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Arkansas

Who doesn't like Arkansas this year? It seems every sportswriter has jumped on the bandwagon as "Watch this team!" and "McFadden is a badass!". Well, they are half right. Arkansas will be much better this year and McFadden, minus the pin in his toe, will be a badass. However, don't expect them to win the SEC, or even the West--at least not yet. I noted that this team was very young and getting much better prior to the LSU game, and they nearly pulled the upset. I love it when I'm right.

I still like Arkansas--don't get me wrong. But they are still young, and they are not in the same league as Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, or even Tennessee, at least not talentwise. Of course, with "any given Saturday" as your mantra, this is a good team to pick. If someone goes into this game sleeping or with an uncoordinated offense (e.g. LSU of last year), then Arkansas may give them a game.

Here are my thoughts on the schedule. The opener against USC is winnable with McFadden. Without him, USC will out-talent Arkansas for the win. I certainly do not expect a seemless offensive transition from Bush, White, and Leinart to whoever the hell is in the backfield this year. However, USC is known for doing just that (see 2003 Auburn/USC opener). The margin for error for Arkansas is slim, and USC's receivers will be tearing through the Hogs' secondary all day. The question is, can anyone get them the ball? I think yes. With McFadden, Arkansas has an explosive back and the ability to control the clock (read, keep USC's offense off the field). Since he thought a bar fight was more important than football (come on, it was 4:30 a.m.), the Hogs lose. Utah State and Vandy are next, who should provide a nice pick-me-up for Arkansas. Alabama then comes to town, and I like the Hogs in this one. McFadden should be back, and Alabama will probably be leaning on its running backs non-stop. If Arkansas can stop the run, I don't think a re-personneled Bama defense can keep the Hogs out of the endzone. It should be a good one, but I like Arkansas at home. The Auburn game should be a loss, but I've never felt safe playing the Hogs. It's as though they are a given for 17 points anytime they play Auburn. That scares me a bit. However, Auburn should pull away in the third quarter. Southeastern Missouri State is a gimme win, but then comes an interesting game against Ole Miss. I refuse to call this one yet because I want to see 1) how Arkansas played against Bama and Auburn, and 2) how Ole Miss has fared. Ole Miss does a decent job against the run usually, and QB Schaeffer provides some offensive spark. We'll see how this goes. As of now, I think Arkansas takes it, but I'm reserving my final judgment for a few weeks. Louisiana Monroe is an easy win, and then the Hogs go to South Carolina. Spurrier is a genious, but this game could go either way. I reserve judgment. Tennessee, Mississippi State, and LSU round out the schedule. Because of the question marks with Tennessee, I won't comment on that one yet, Miss. State is a win, and LSU is most likely a loss, but we'll see. So the final results: At best, 9-3, and at worst, 6-6. Welcome to the postseason.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

So I guess McFadden was the guy you told me that story about?

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MCFADDEN IS A BADASS!!! And my prediction is he will pull a willis reed and play against usc, taking his first touch 74 yards to the house for a TD!!! or at least thats what i dream will happen...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home