Tuesday, January 03, 2006

And Then There Were Two...

And so it all comes to an end on Wednesday night. It's been an interesting season, to say the least, and I've enjoyed most of it. I'll have a few articles periodically, but obviously, my material will be much limited, so updates will be infrequent. Without further ado, let's get to the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl.

Orange Bowl

Penn State vs. Florida State. Florida State should not be here. Penn State is not full of choke artists that have tended to inhabit the ACC. Consequently, JoPa and the boys are going to make short work of FSU. End of story. But then again, FSU may actually play football for once, and following the theme of bowl games, the higher ranked Penn State may come out flat and be flattened. More on this topic later. Penn State 34 - Florida State 10.

Rose Bowl

If I have to tell you who's playing in this game, then you have somehow stumbled onto a site not meant for your eyes. Hit the "Back" button to return to the Oxygen homepage. For the rest of us, it's about damn time this game got here. It's the game everyone has wanted since mid-summer. Of course, when was the last time that happened? Oh yeah--last year. And the result was a resounding defeat of Oklahoma by USC. Hmm...Big 12 overrated? Nah...couldn't be it. Especially since the Big 12 is so much better this year than last year....haha...sorry, I couldn't get that one out without laughing. But, as they are the only two undefeated teams, they will get to play each other for the whole enchilada.

As far as analysis goes, USC's secondary is its weakspot, and Vince Young is good enough to exploit it somewhat, though Matt Leinart would put up ridiculous numbers if he played against his own secondary. Vince Young is also mobile, which will help as he will be running away from a strong USC defensive line all night. Big 12 teams are typically not known for their speed, but defensive coordinator Gene Chizik (formerly of Auburn--cough, cough, sellout) will know how to contain Reggie Bush and Lendale White...at least as much as possible. If Texas does not score 24 points, they cannot possibly win. I believe Ohio State has a much better chance of beating USC than Texas does, but I will pick USC only because my hatred for the Big 12 surpasses my hatred for the Pac-10---barely. If both could somehow lose, that'd be fantastic. Orgininally I was going to pick Texas, as Vince Young is quite the athlete. Then I remembered that USC has about five guys that talented. This knowledge, thrown in with the fact that Reggie Bush is rather humble and unexpectedly articulate for the ridiculously gifted football stud that he is, while Vince Young is kind of a tool, lead me to pick USC. (And the name of Texas' mascot, incidentally, makes me want to hit it...with a spear.) Despite the pick, I refuse to do that stupid "V" for victory thing. Not my cup of tea--not that I drink tea. That's kind of girly for a football blog. USC 34 - Texas 18.

1 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I like that you called him "ridiculously gifted football stud". That's funny.

Tea doesn't have to be girly. I think the British would take offense at that, you silly colonialist.

I think the common consensus seems to be in agreement with you. Everybody wants both teams to lose. Uncle Jeff said exactly that same thing. I guess you're probably right that USC will probably win, but I wish they wouldn't, because I hate them with a burning passion forever and ever. Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home