Friday, September 15, 2006

Week Three Preview

Well, it's still not midnight yet, so this counts. It's been one crazy long week, so I apologize for the lateness of this post. However, I did want to weigh in on my thoughts before "separation Saturday." With this great line-up, they should declare a national holiday. Let's get to it.

FSU v. Clemson - I am jumping off the Florida State ship. Sorry. The defense is still good, but the offense is...well...not. Clemson has a pretty good offense, and the Tigers are probably still a little ticked about last week. I think FSU will probably win this game, just because Clemson can never win a close game. However, I'm still picking Clemson because I like their offense's chance to put up some points on FSU. Hell, if Troy can do it, why can't they? FSU 13 - Clemson 22. (If the final score was within one score, Clemson couldn't possibly win, so the margin has to be nine.)

Oklahoma v. Oregon - I have not gotten to see Oklahoma play yet, but I am not hearing good things out of Norman. Adrian Peterson is good, but he cannot win a game against Oregon by himself. The Sooners have scraped by so far, but it catches up with them this weekend against the Ducks. I expect Oregon to run all over Oklahoma, but the Sooners will keep it close for pride's sake...and because they have Adrian Peterson. Oklahoma 14 - Oregon 23.

Iowa v. Iowa State - It's the match-up of two wildly inconsistent teams. Iowa State has been dominant against the Hawkeyes lately (though I certainly can't figure out why). I like Iowa simply bc they have Tate back and are playing at Iowa. The Hawkeyes have got to have a big game tomorrow if anyone is going to take them seriously. Iowa 35 - Iowa State 23.

Louisville v. Miami - Louisville will score a ton of points against Miami. Miami's defense (at least their secondary) is lights out. However, Louisville is an offensive machine. Fortunately for the Canes, the Cardinals do not believe in defense. I think this should be a great game, but Louisville will break through the Miami defense too many times for the Hurricanes to hang with them. Louisville 24 - Miami 20.

TCU v. Texas Tech - I still like the Red Raiders. TCU currently has the longest winning streak in the nation, and it always bothers me when a non-BCS team has that record. Texas Tech needs to win one for all of football tomorrow and put TCU in its rightful place. Are the Horned Frogs good? I'm sure. However, they'd never survive in a real conference. TCU 27 - Texas Tech 41.

USC v. Nebraska - How good are the Huskers? Nobody really knows yet. They look great, but they haven't played anyone yet. And then there's USC. How much do we really know about USC? The offense looks great, but so does Nebraska's. The defense looks great, but so does Nebraska's. I think USC wins this game simply bc Nebraska isn't quite there yet, and there is simply way too much talent at USC. I hope the Huskers give them a good run, though. USC 37 - Nebraska 24.

Notre Dame v. Michigan - Who knows? Notre Dame looks like it's old self, but it did it against Penn State, a team that we still know very little about. Michigan looked decent against Vandy, but hardly as dominant as it should have. The offense appeared to click last week, but it did so against inferior competition. I really think Michigan can pull this one out. They offense is balanced, and the UM running game is looking pretty solid. I personally don't care much for Mike Hart or Grady, but they are both good enough to get the job done. I think that the Michigan defense will be fiesty as well, and can keep Brady Quinn in check. Upset special. ND 20 - Michigan 24.

Tennessee v. Florida - I really went back and forth on this one. At the beginning of the season I mentioned that I thought UT was good enough to win the East. Tomorrow, we find out. Florida is looking good right now, but so is Tennessee for the most part. Ainge is playing like a man possessed, but the defense is severely banged up. I think the offenses will cancel each other out, and Florida has the stronger defense. Hence, I give the edge to UF. Vols 14 - Gators 21.

Auburn v. LSU - WAR DAMN EAGLE! Honestly, let's not evaluate this one too closely. It's a toss-up. Solid QB's, great RB's, great CB's. There are two keys to this game. One, Auburn's secondary is young (the safeties, at least), and LSU's WRs are scary good and scary fast. Secondly, LSU has restaffed its front seven, and Auburn ran all over the last seven last year. If Auburn cannot run the ball effectively, LSU wins. Brandon Cox cannot win the game himself. However, if Auburn can shut down LSU's WRs, I think LSU cannot win the game. Either way, you know where to find me at 2:30. Auburn 13 - LSU 10.

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Caitlin said...

you picked michigan to win. Just for that, I am so cheering for LSU. Geaux Tigers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home