Friday, September 08, 2006

Week Two Preview

Due to time restraints, I can't really do these picks justice, but I'll try my best.

Ohio State at Texas

We know basically nothing about either of these teams after last week. The only thing to be worried about is how Garret Wolfe carved up the Buckeyes. Texas should have no problems doing the same. This should be a great game regardless, but I expect Texas to grind it out on the ground (especially considering they are still breaking in Colt McCoy. Ohio State has a chance simply because it's offense is that good. However, Texas' defense is also a solid unit and should play the Buckeyes tougher than any other team on their schedule. Hence, Texas wins. Ohio State 21 - Texas 27.

Clemson at Boston College

Everybody is still riding high on Clemson, and after last weeks solid performance, there is no reason to doubt the Tigers yet. Meanwhile, BC struggled early last week. I think Clemson should be able to pull this one out, but BC does have the potential to upset Clemson. Clemson 34 - BC 24.

Ole Miss at Missouri

I hope this game is on TV where I can see it. I liked what I saw out of the Rebel's offense last week, but the defense gave up a lot more yards than I expected. Meanwhile, many pundits feel that Missouri is a much improved team this year. I have yet to see them play, but if the Ole Miss defense can regain its 2005 form, the Rebs can win this game. Ole Miss 21 - Missouri 17.

Texas Tech at UTEP

People are making way too big a deal about this game and about QB (Carson) Palmer('s little brother). I don't care that your big brother is famous. I have seen you play, and you played horribly. I refuse to believe this Palmer can play with the big boys. Texas Tech's system will beat UTEP. The Red Raiders' defense has been making strides in recent years, and UTEP is, well, UTEP. Texas Tech 42 - UTEP 27.

Penn State at Notre Dame

New QB Anthony Morelli looked good in the opener, but there was no running game whatsoever for the Nittany Lions. If a team is one-dimensional, even ND's secondary can probably hang with them. I think this will be a solid game and I certainly will watch it. ND's offense will hopefully rebound this week (I know they want to), and I don't see Penn State's defense doing too much about it. Is Penn State's defense good? Certainly. But so were many defenses that Brady Quinn carved up last year. I have faith in his abilities now that the opening game jitters are out of the system. Penn State 23 - ND 31.

Arizona at LSU

Seriously, does anybody really think Arizona can pull this off? No, I didn't think so. Arizona 13 - LSU 27.

Minnesota at Cal

Minnesota looked great last week. They threw in a new RB and dominated, while QB Brian Cupito went 8 of 13 for 146. Solid line. Not fantastic, but solid. Cal looked like someone smacked it in the face. Oh wait...that's because someone smacked it in the face. I'm curious to see if they'll rebound or if they'll lie down. Pac-10 teams are not exactly known for their intestinal fortitude. I pick the Gophers as my upset, but just barely. I don't think Minnesota can bottle up Marshawn Lynch like the Vols did. Minnesota 21 - Cal 17.

Oregon at Fresno State

I watched Fresno play, but I have not seen Oregon. By all accounts, Oregon looked great. Fresno dragged for a while against a decent Nevada team. I think Oregon out-classes Fresno in this one, but Fresno always seems to hang around. Having this game at home may make a difference, but I think Oregon can grind it out on the ground. Oregon 17 - Fresno State 13 (Wait, this is the West Coast. I have to adjust for the lack of defense) Oregon 27 - Fresno State 23.

Georgia at South Carolina

This may be the game in which Matt Stafford breaks out. South Carolina's defense is good, but it has received way too much credit for the shutout at Mississippi State. I mean, come on. It was Mississippi State. Georgia has talent that Sylvester Croom can only dream about, and that will be apparent in this game. South Carolina always has a way of playing the Dawgs tough, but UGa will get the W. With a stable of quality RBs and QBs, UGa will out-talent South Carolina. Not even Spurrier's coaching can save the Gamecocks if their offense resembles what I saw last week. QB Blake Mitchell really has to kick it up a notch for USC to hang with Georgia. In the event Joe T falters at QB, I would not be surprised to see Stafford in the game. However, Joe T has paid his dues and probably has a lot of slack from Richt. Georgia 28 - South Carolina 14.

Vanderbilt at Alabama

I think I may be the only person that thinks this game has potential to be interesting. Bama's defense was not exactly dominating last week. While Vandy lost Jay Cutler, I like their new QB. He is young and will make mistakes, but he plays hard and is very mobile. Maybe not this year, but somewhere down the line, this guy could be good. I do expect Bama to win. However, Vandy played Michigan fairly tough. Well, actually, Michigan just couldn't close the deal. Either way, the score was close for a while. Bama wins in a closer game than the final score will indicate. Vandy 12 - Bama 27.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home