Friday, September 01, 2006

Power 22 Preseason Poll

I know this technically isn't "pre-season," but I think it's close enough to count. So here's my list.

1. Michigan - I don't know why, but I really like Michigan this year. I thought they played well last year and just missed out on winning several big games. This could be the year. They have the QB, WR, and RB down, so if they play like they can and the defense plays well, Michigan has the talent to be at the top. Is number one a bit ambitious? Probably so, but in a season like this one, can you honestly make a better guess? I don't see any obvious holes, other than Lloyd Carr's coaching (sorry, that was probably uncalled for). They have one big game at home in Iowa. The three tough road games are at Notre Dame, at Penn State, and at Ohio State to end the year. Things could change a lot between now and the Ohio State game, but I'm going to be watching closely in two weeks when the Wolverines visit Notre Dame. We'll find out a lot about Michigan come week three.

2. Auburn - As much as I wanted to put them at number one, I felt I must show some restraint. The new secondary presents some questions, as do new wide receivers, but Auburn is stacked on both sides of the ball. The coaching staff got better in the offseason with the addition of defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, and I hear RB Kenny Irons got faster and stronger....that's a scary thought.

3. LSU - Yes, I know there are questions. However, the talent is there. QB, RB, and WR are all solid. The lines are questions, but hopefully other assets can help diffuse some of the pressure. The secondary is also a plus for the Bayou Bengals, but the schedule--not so much.

4. Miami - I like Miami. Again, this is more of a gut decision, but I have seen them play some magical football that reminds me of the title teams of several years ago. If QB Kyle Wright gets his groove and a running game emerges, I think the 'Canes can score just enough that they can ride the defense to wins. We'll find out just how good they are right away. Here comes FSU...

5. Ohio State - I think Ohio State is overrated. Yes, the offense is good. Yes, the defense is usually good. However, nobody loses as much as the Buckeyes did on defense and does not suffer a drop-off. Huge question mark. I think Ohio State benefited from beating an overhyped ND team at the end of last year and rode it to lofty preseason rankings.

6. Texas - I don't believe a freshman QB can step in and win a national championship. However, I think the Big 12 in general is not going to be good this year (like last year), so the road is fairly easy. Luckily for Colt McCoy, the rest of the team is loaded with talent. If Texas can miraculously slip past Ohio State, the rest of the season should not prove too incredibly difficult. If with a loss to Ohio State, the high preseason rankings and the remaining schedule make a repeat BCS appearance quite likely.

7. Louisville - At least they're playing Miami. You could argue West Virginia should be above Louisville, but one game seasons don't impress me much. I like the offense, and it's the Big East.

8. USC - They are absolutely loaded at every position (even the new ones). They just haven't had the opportunity to prove it yet. I really wanted to rank USC lower since they are breaking in a new QB and RBs, but after personally seeing how Leinart and Bush responded in their debutes, I couldn't pull the trigger. Until someone dethrones them, they are still the Pac-10 frontrunner.

9. Notre Dame - Some of you were probably wondering where the Irish went. No, I didn't forget them, and no, I don't hate the Irish. I think the secondary is a gigantic question mark, as is team speed. I think they will be lucky to get out of September without two losses. If they are still undefeated come October 1, they may have made a believer out of me.

10. West Virginia - I cannot argue with the talent Steve Slaton and Pat White. However, if someone tells me West Virginia should be ranked number one, I will yell at them until they cower in a corner crying like a little school girl. Louisville. That's it. Louisville. Make an effort. Prove to me you belong here.

11. Florida - Yeah, yeah, yeah...Florida has talent...blah, blah, blah....Urban Renewal....yada, yada, yada. Seriously, they have no running back, and they run an offense that has yet to prove successful in the SEC. Meanwhile, Meyer still has a QB that doesn't fit his system. At least the defense is good. Can Florida win all of its games? Sure. Will it? Not if it plays anywhere close to how it did last year. The schedule is a killer too, so that certainly won't help. As an added bonus, though, I propose that if Florida runs the table, they be given the national title before the championship game. Honestly, they would have earned it. Besides, there is precedent (see Alabama).

12. Florida State - To me, this team is a major question mark. They had no running game last year, but now everyone is saying they're going to have a great running game. QB Weatherford was inconsistent last year as a freshman (who could blame him?), and he should improve this year. The defense was pretty good, but I don't feel it played up to its talent level. FSU can play with anybody, but it is far from the dominant squad that won so many ACC titles (of course, at the time the ACC resembled the current Big East, but that's neither here nor there).

13. Iowa - Everybody else seems to love them, but who can honestly believe in the them? Choke artists. They are nearly as bad as Michigan State in my book. I like Drew Tate and Albert Young, but until you actually make some noise in the Big Ten, you fly under the radar. I am ranking Iowa here on potential and experience, but I'm hardly confident they'll climb much higher.

14. Clemson - Somehow Clemson got better by losing Charlie Whitehurst. I'll have to see it to believe it. However, I did like the way Clemson played at the end of last year. If that carried over, they can play with anyone.

15. Tennessee - I almost wanted to rank them higher, but I felt that if I did, I'd probably be dropping them out after the first weekend. Mental toughness. That will define the Vols' season. If they beat Cal, look out SEC. If they don't, Vandy will start looking forward to its season finale.

16. Cal - I'm not sold. I'm tired of hearing all of the "Marshawn Lynch is the greatest back in the world and he runs a 3.1 forty backwards in flippers" talk. If he runs successfully against Tennessee's run defense, then I'll give him props. Until then, he's just another West Coast wanna-be running back. You wanna prove your worth? Do it in the SEC.

17. Georgia - I'd feel dirty picking against the Dawgs for anything. Mark Richt finds a way to win. However, this does not appear to be his year. He has several stud running backs and both sides of the ball are loaded with talent. However, an unproven QB with questionable abilities probably will not be able to navigate Georgia's schedule successfully. I expect some fall off. The game against South Carolina should tell us just where Georgia stands this year.

18. Oregon - I hate those uniforms. I do like the fog they get at their stadium. That's a nice touch. The team itself is solid, but hardly spectacular. If they are gonna make a push, this may be the year simply because USC is reloading.

19. Oklahoma - Bohmer leaving was apparently addition by subtraction, so no worries there. However, I hardly see how an new QB is going to help things that much. Peterson is still a beast and the Sooners have talent. However, Peterson can't do it all himself. Well, maybe he can, but if he gets hurt, then what?

20. Arizona State - In all fairness, I've already seen clips of the Northern Arizona game, and I must admit I was not impressed. However, I was impressed with the guts of Coach Koetter in naming Carpenter the starter. Wow. I also liked how they turned it on in the second half. First games always have rust. They have a ways to go.

21. Rutgers - Any team that has a fullback as its best player gets to make my poll (except Navy).

22. Penn State - So many questions, so little time. Obviously, without Michael Robinson, there will be issues. However, new QB Anthony Morelli apparently has the skills to follow in Robinson's footsteps (or arm-steps...does that work?). I'm curious to see if Penn State's year was a flash in the pan or if they have some staying power. I'm thinking a slide is probable (giving that they only lost one game last year), but they shouldn't fall too terribly far.

Sleepers: Nebraska, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Iowa State, Arkansas, Boston College, South Carolina, Fresno State, TCU, Georgia Tech.

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

Number 9????!!!!!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger spencer said...

Yes, and I don't expect them to change much when I release the new poll (probably tomorrow). So many questions, so few answers. I promise that if ND wins the next two weeks, they will most likely be in my top five.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home