Thursday, August 24, 2006

Odds and Ends

Only one more week until football season is truly upon us! My how time flies. I'm pretty stoked about this year because nobody should run the table. At least, nobody is expected to run the table. This should be fun.

So here are my thoughts on the preseason polls. Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida, West Virginia, Louisville, Auburn...have I left anyone out? Even if I have, it doesn't really matter. These teams are virtually interchangeable in any poll. I'm not going to dispute any preseason ranking of the top ten teams, and here's why. For every team up here, I can probably give you about five good reasons why they will not run the table. None of these teams is a frontrunner. Now if I had to pick the "best" teams out of this group, I'd say Ohio State and Auburn. I say this by virtue of having an offense, a defense, and no giant holes. However, the clear-cut favorite to win it all (at least in my book) is West Virginia. Can you say one-game season? I'm having flashbacks to the 90s FSU teams. Play someone worth a damn during the regular season and then you can pretend to be national champs. I give you marginal respect for beating UGa in the Sugar Bowl, but try winning out with a schedule that includes 3 to 4 teams just like that every year. You just can't do it. Sorry. So, I'm putting in my vote right now. If West Virginia wins the national championship, I'm never watching a Big East game ever again (not that anybody watches Big East games anyways, but it's the thought that counts).

In short (too late), I'm looking forward to a wide-open season where there is sure to be ten-thousand different opinions on who's the best. Bring it on!

2 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

I enjoyed the Clue reference :)

Let me know when you post more.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I need more football info!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home