Thursday, August 24, 2006

Georgia

No more David Greene and no more D.J. Shockley. What now? Tereshinksi III. Right. Somehow, I feel there's going to be a drop-off. However, the RBs are all still there and are all very talented. The offense in general is great. The Dawgs could stand to have another go-to receiver, but Mohamed Massaquoi (had to spell-check that one) is beginning to step up. The greatest loss (other than at QB) for UGa's offense is the loss of TE Leonard Pope. He was a beast. Just throw the ball up and you've got a reception. But again, this is UGa. Mark Richt knows how to recruit, so I doubt there will be too great of a drop-off. If Tereshinski is a serviceable quarterback, there is no reason UGa cannot hang with every team on its schedule. I have a feeling that there is no way Tereshinski is as good as Greene or Shockley, but I refuse to judge the kid based on his showing against Florida, where Richt really only gave him permission to hand the ball off. Let's see what he does after getting some practice reps as the starter.

Defensively, yes, UGa lost some star power. But again, they are UGa. Richt brings in quality players and once the newcomers have a few games under their belt, they'll be just fine. My ultimate pre-season analysis of UGa comes down to this: They are solid, talented team without much star power. These are the teams that creep up on people. The Dawgs are dangerous.

Here's the schedule. Western Kentucky is a win. I'm going to call South Carolina a win. My reasoning is that South Carolina's defense is still not that great, despite a decent offense. UGa's secondary will be tested, certainly, but the Dawgs will out-talent Spurrier's gamecocks, and the coaching is a draw. Hence, the scale tips to UGa. UAB is a win, but we'll see about Colorado. With a new coach in Boulder, I want to see what Dan Hawkins does the week prior against Arizona State. Then I'll make the call. Most likely, though, I'm giving this one to UGa. Ole Miss should be a win, but I reserve judgment on the Tennessee game for obvious reasons. Vandy and Mississippi State are both wins, but I again cannot call the Florida game yet. What's the point? There's a lot of ground to cover between now and then. Kentucky's a win and Auburn is a loss. I know, lots could happen, and I am probably biased. However, Auburn beat a UGa team last year that was better on both offense and defense. Auburn's defense I expect to be tougher this year (despite questions in the secondary) because of new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, and the offense will not miss a beat (barring injuries). In light of this, I have to give the nod to Auburn. The finale for UGa comes against rival GaTech. I can't call this one either. On paper, UGa wins, but everybody knows that. However, GaTech has Calvin Johnson and a senior QB playing his last game against his rival. You know Reggie Ball wants this one bad. I'll make this call a couple of days before the game. So, at best, UGa goes 11-1, and at worst 8-4. I think nine wins is certainly doable and ten wins possible, but running the table would earn Mark Richt Coach of the Year honors.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

"They are solid, talented team without much star power. These are the teams that creep up on people. The Dawgs are dangerous."

I got shivers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home